Sunday, September 9, 2007

Consciousness Raising Exercise #11

During the past 25 years, the following words have become assimilated into our common language. Some have taken on new meanings

buff
beefcake
dog
cellular
flame
hacker
ho
broadband
hip hop
laptop
mouse
nuke
rapper
wireless
snuff
grill
network
peeps
spam
web
Windows
bottom
crack
Spend some time with a physician who is 25 years older or younger than yourself. Analyze these terms by asking each other the following questions:
  • What does this term mean to me?

  • Does this term, as it is used today, mean the same as it did when I was in medical school?

  • How did this term get a new meaning?

  • How does this term reflect changes in the world in which I live?

  • How does the proper use of this term affect me from a personal standpoint?

  • How does the proper use of this term affect me from a professional standpoint?



No comments: